[job] Programmer Position in Berkeley

From: Nathan Boley <npboley(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: SF Postgres <sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: [job] Programmer Position in Berkeley
Date: 2010-09-11 00:06:20
Lists: sfpug

Hi sfpug,

This may be a little off topic for a database list, but we're hiring a
programmer and I like working with people that know databases. The
DBA-type responsibilities will be pretty limited, but in the
relatively near future it should give an opportunity to do some paid
open source hacking on Postgres.

-Nathan

( Interested applicants can respond to me directly ( nboley
canbeemailedat berkeley.edu ) or my gmail address )

The Bickel Group in the department of Statistics at UC Berkeley  is
looking for a curious, talented, and enthusiastic programmer to help
design, build, and maintain statistical tools for the analysis of
cutting edge biological data.

About Us:

Broadly, we develop statistical techniques for the analysis of high
throughput biological data. We are currently working with ChIP-seq,
RNA-seq, CAGE, RACE, DNase, FAIRE, and lots of other impressive
sounding data-types. No prior knowledge of biological data is
required, but it is desirable. We are members of both the ENCODE (
http://www.genome.gov/10005107) and modENCODE (
http://www.modencode.org/) consortia. There is a lot of data to
analyze, so all our projects have strong computational components.

The Role:

We are looking for a talented, bright, and creative programmer that
has a wide variety of interests and is excited about working in a
quick moving field. This opening is for a software engineer - we want
applicants that love to program.

This is a unique opportunity to work closely with world class
scientists and mathematicians as part of a global science consortium.

Required Qualifications:

* Bachelor's degree in a technical field.
* Extensive programming knowledge in C, and Python.
* Self-motivated, able to troubleshoot independently

Preferred Qualifications:

* Knowledge of R
* Experience with Matlab
* Experience with Postgres
* A Statistics/Math Background
* Some knowledge about biology ( genetics specifically )

We offer competitive salaries with a full suite of health and welfare
benefits, 401(k), paid holidays, and a very flexible work schedule.