Crash in a specific situation while adding constraints

From: Eric Ongerth <ericongerth(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Crash in a specific situation while adding constraints
Date: 2011-01-01 18:30:23
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hi, I think this is the first time pgAdmin III has actually crashed for me,
so it has a very good record over several years!

I'm running Windows 7 32-bit, and pgAdmin 1.12.0. This was an unusual
situation, not very typical usage, but I suppose it still should not cause a
crash.

To replicate: create a table, do not create the primary key yet. Give this
table an id column, and a "parent_id" column. Now open a window to create a
new foreign key for this table. Leave that window open but do not complete
it yet. Now open a window to create the primary key for the table, complete
the primary key form and click OK to finish. Now go back to the remaining
open window to finish creating the foreign key, which should be parent_id
referencing id. The point is to make it a self-referential table. Anyway,
when you complete the foreign key creation window and click OK on it,
pgAdminIII crashes.

I think this is probably related to some data or state that was associated
with the Foreign Key window being open before the primary key was ever
added. Either a standard error should be shown to the user informing him
that Add Foreign Key cannot be completed and needs to be closed and started
over... or pgAdmin should be changed to make the Add FK window operate in a
stateless manner. But I am making assumptions here, I don't know for sure
why the crash happens.

Thanks!
--Eric