Re: Extensions, this time with a patch

From: Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Extensions, this time with a patch
Date: 2010-11-25 05:44:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 05:02, Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr> wrote:
> Something like the attached, version 5 of the patch? I've been using the
> function name ParseConfigFp because the internal parameter was called fp
> in the previous function body. I suppose that could easily be changed at
> commit time if necessary.

Thanks. I'll move the patch to Ready for Committer.

Here is a list of items for committers, including only cosmetic changes.

- Comments in recovery.conf.sample needs to be adjusted.
# (The quotes around the value are NOT optional, but the "=" is.)
It seems to be the only description about quotes are not omissible before.
- We might not need to check the result of ParseConfigFp() because
it always raises FATAL on errors.
- We could remove the unused argument "calling_file" in ParseConfigFp().
- I feel "struct name_value_pair" and "ConfigNameValuePair" a bit
redundant names. I'd prefer something like ConfigVariable.
- "fp" might be a better name than FILE *fd. There are 4 usages in xlog.c.

> Extensions will need the support for custom_variable_classes as it is
> done now, and as you say, the recovery will just error out. You have to
> clean your recovery.conf file then try again (I just tried and confirm).
>
> I personally don't see any harm to have the features in all currently
> known uses-cases, and I don't see any point in walking an extra mile
> here to remove a feature in some cases.

Sure. We will leave them.

--
Itagaki Takahiro