Re: BUG #5922: Add-on installation error.

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Luke Gilbert <luke(dot)gilbert(at)navistar(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5922: Add-on installation error.
Date: 2011-03-10 05:58:28
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 8:44 AM, Luke Gilbert <luke(dot)gilbert(at)navistar(dot)com> wrote:

> Bug reference:      5922
> Logged by:          Luke Gilbert
> Email address:      luke(dot)gilbert(at)navistar(dot)com
> PostgreSQL version: 9.0
> Operating system:   Windows 7
> Details:
>
> Of all the lists, this seems to be be the best place to file this. This
> report is not a bug with PostgreSQL; it is a problem with the installer. In
> searching the archives, this problem does not appear to have been reported
> yet. I apologize if I've submitted this to the wrong list.
>
> When installing postgresql-9.0.3-1-windows_x64.exe on Windows 7, the
> installation of PostgreSQL completes successfully. After the installation, I
> chose to install the edb_apachephp add-on and the edb_phppgadmin add-on.
> When edb_apachephp.exe is run the bitrock_installer_xxx.log file reported
> the following (some parts redacted):
>
> ----- begin -----
> Preferred installation mode : qt
> Trying to init installer in mode qt
> Mode qt successfully initialized
> Could not find registry key
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\EnterpriseDB\ApachePhp APACHE_PORT. Setting
> variable apacheport to empty value
> Could not find registry key
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\EnterpriseDB\ApachePhp APACHE_HOME. Setting
> variable apache_home to empty value
> Could not find registry key
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\EnterpriseDB\ApachePhp Branding. Setting
> variable iBranding to empty value
> Using branding: Postgres Plus Add-ons
> Executing C:\Users\XXXXXXXX\AppData\Local\Temp\vcredist_x86.exe "/Q"
> Script exit code: 3010
>
> Script output:
>

> Script stderr:
>  Program ended with an error exit code
>
> Error running C:\Users\XXXXXXXX\AppData\Local\Temp\vcredist_x86.exe "/Q" :
> Program ended with an error exit code
> ----- end -----
>
> To fix this, I located vcredist_x86.exe and ran it as Administrator. I was
> given two options: 'Repair' and 'Uninstall'. I chose 'Repair'. Once
> vcredist_x86.exe completed, I rebooted. After the reboot, I re-ran
> edb_apachephp.exe and it completed successfully.

Unfortunately that's a Microsoft installer, and there's not much we
can do about the way it decides to throw an error. It seems like in
this case, it decided it couldn't do the normal upgrade to whatever
version you had installed already (which may have been the same one,
but that doesn't normally matter), and instead decided to throw an
error and force you to run a Repair.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com