Re: Issue with libpq < 8.4

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>, pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Issue with libpq < 8.4
Date: 2010-08-24 10:49:41
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 12:28 PM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 11:01 AM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:
>> Adding a configure check doesn't seem that simple to me :)
>
> If you can wrangle wxWidgets sizers, you can surely cope with a
> configure check :-)
>
> FYI, all the interesting stuff is in acinclude.m4. The bits that are
> called, and in what order comes from configure.ac.in.
>
>> I suppose it'll fix packagers issue. I hope they use the required
>> libraries when they build their packages.
>
> They'll have to now :-)

I'm pretty sure all the package building processes require that
already. E.g. if you're building packages for squeeze, you'll have the
-devel package from squeeze, etc.

I'm more curios as to what we're doing if the function isn't present.
What is it used for, and what will we do if it's not there? If we're
going to end up importing the same functionality directly into
pgadmin, we might as well use that one when we do..

Or do you mean a configure check that will refuse to build it if it's not there?

>> Really curious to see your patch. I've never had to change the configure
>> stuff. Yet another thing to learn :)
>
> http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb?p=pgadmin3.git;a=commitdiff

Hmm, that answers my previous question.

This "disqualifies" pgAdmin3 from quite a lot of platforms. There
aren't that many that are on 8.4+ yet :-(

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/