Re: and it's not a bunny rabbit, either

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: and it's not a bunny rabbit, either
Date: 2010-12-27 03:55:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 10:44 PM, Itagaki Takahiro
<itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 12:13, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> Could we get away with something as simple as "requested operation is
>> not supported for <plural-form-of-object-type>"?
>
> +1. If so, will we have a function to get object names something like
> GetPluralFormOfObjectType(Relation rel or char relkind) => char *  ?

In the interest of keeping things simple for translators, I was
thinking we'd just write out a string for each object type:

"requested operation is not supported for tables"
"requested operation is not supported for views"
"requested operation is not supported for indexes"

or if we go with the some-assembly required version, perhaps:

"tables do not support %s"
"views do not support %s"
"indexes do not support %s"

--