Re: pg_streamrecv for 9.1?

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_streamrecv for 9.1?
Date: 2010-12-29 12:39:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 13:03, Euler Taveira de Oliveira
<euler(at)timbira(dot)com> wrote:
> Em 29-12-2010 07:47, Magnus Hagander escreveu:
>>
>> Would people be interested in putting pg_streamrecv
>> (http://github.com/mhagander/pg_streamrecv) in bin/ or contrib/ for
>> 9.1? I think it would make sense to do so.
>>
> +1 but...
>
>> It could/should then also become the default tool for doing
>> base-backup-over-libpq, assuming me or Heikki (or somebody else)
>> finishes off the patch for that before 9.1.
>>
> I think that the base backup feature is more important than simple streaming
> chunks of the WAL (SR already does this). Talking about the base backup over
> libpq, it is something we should implement to fulfill people's desire that
> claim an easy replication setup.

Yes, definitely. But that also needs server side support.

> IIRC, Dimitri already coded a base backup over libpq tool [1] but it is
> written in Python.

Yeah, the WIP patch heikki posted is simliar, except it uses tar
format and is implemented natively in the backend with no need for
pl/pythonu to be installed.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/