Re: criticism about hosting download packages

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL - Hans-Jürgen Schönig <postgres(at)cybertec(dot)at>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Susanne Ebrecht <miracee(at)web(dot)de>, jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com, Cédric Villemain <cedric(dot)villemain(dot)debian(at)gmail(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: criticism about hosting download packages
Date: 2011-02-24 23:28:20
Lists: pgsql-advocacypgsql-www
On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 11:14 PM, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:

> So unless you're volunteering the resources of Cybertec to take over
> production of the one-click packages, this is a pointless discussion.

FYI, we're currently using somewhere around $30K's worth of hardware
for the builds, and have a team of 4 people plus myself who put a
significant number of hours into this work. Minor release days involve
40+ man hours of QA work over one to two days, and around 50 different
VMware instances (and hardware to run them on) for testing on
different platforms. On top of that, there's the development time, and
non-trivial amounts of work figuring out weird installation issues
that can crop up in complex Windows environments - some of which we
wouldn't have figured out without resources such as MSDN subscriptions
(which are not cheap either).

It is not cheap, or easy to produce the installers, despite what some
people seem to think.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com