Fwd: PITR Recovery settings

From: Selva manickaraja <mavles78(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Fwd: PITR Recovery settings
Date: 2011-03-28 01:41:51
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi,

Any takers on this issue?

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Selva manickaraja <mavles78(at)gmail(dot)com>
Date: Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 9:10 AM
Subject: PITR Recovery settings
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org

Hi,

We have successfully implemented a Backup and Recovery process in our
organization and currently testing it out. We took a previous day backup and
tried to restore it to a point in time.

The database is able to start applying the recovery settings. But it
recovered records past the recovery target date and time give by at least 30
minutes. But before that let me tell you that the check_timeout is set every
30 minutes. So logs get shipped every half an hour only. The PgSQL manual
say that recovery is always until end of WAL log. However we also set the
recovery_target_inclusive as false to ensure that transaction after the
specified time is not loaded to the recovered database. But in actual, this
is not happening. I understand that there is also a way to recover by
individual transaction. Would that be helpful in this kind of scenario?

Below is the recovery.conf file which was renamed as recovery.done after
starting the database.

recovery_target_time = '2011-03-23 16:05:00 MYT'
recovery_target_inclusive = 'false'
restore_command = 'cp /pgsbak/recovery/wal_archive/%f %p'
archive_cleanup_command = 'pg_archivecleanup /pgsbak/recovery/wal_archive
%r'

Kindly assist.

Thank you.

Regards.