Re: ToDo List Item - System Table Index Clustering

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: saiken(at)quietlycompetent(dot)com
Cc: Simone Aiken <saiken(at)ulfheim(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ToDo List Item - System Table Index Clustering
Date: 2011-01-19 18:25:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 6:49 PM, Simone Aiken
<saiken(at)quietlycompetent(dot)com> wrote:
> Pages like this one have column comments for the system tables:
>
> http://www.psql.it/manuale/8.3/catalog-pg-attribute.html

Oh, I see. I don't think we want to go there. We'd need some kind of
system for keeping the two places in sync. And there'd be no easy way
to upgrade the in-database descriptions when we upgraded to a newer
minor release, supposing they'd changed in the meantime. And some of
the descriptions are quite long, so they wouldn't fit nicely in the
amount of space you typically have available when you run \d+. And it
would enlarge the size of an empty database by however much was
required to store all those comments, which could be an issue for
PostgreSQL instances that have many small databases.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company