Re: Documentation and explanatory diagrams

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Rafael Martinez <r(dot)m(dot)guerrero(at)usit(dot)uio(dot)no>, pgsql-docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Documentation and explanatory diagrams
Date: 2010-07-02 21:59:17
Lists: pgsql-docs
On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 5:43 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> Marc G. Fournier wrote:

>> > I don't like it a bit.  It's hard enough for people to build the docs as
>> > it is.
>>
>> Why should anyone build the docs?  Its part of the tarball process, so the
>> only ppl that should be doing it are those coming from CVS, no ... ?
>
> People often built them to verify the SGML markup and to view the
> content/markup before submitting a doc patch.

Actually, they often DON'T, which is a problem, and adding more
requirements is only going to make it worse.

There is not much reason for an end-user to build the docs - most
end-users will install from RPMs or one-click installers or whatever.
But everyone who is a developer needs to be able to build them, many
can't already, and we have quite a lot of developers.  Adding dia will
also create knock-on work for packagers, although that should be
mostly a one-time thing.  I like the idea of being able to have
pictures in our documentation, but I'm a little nervous about the
ramifications.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company