Re: crash-safe visibility map, take three

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>
Cc: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: crash-safe visibility map, take three
Date: 2010-12-02 14:37:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 6:37 AM, Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr> wrote:
>> Or maybe I do.  One other thing I've been thinking about with regard
>> to hint bit updates is that we might choose to mark that are
>> hint-bit-updated as "untidy" rather than "dirty".  The background
>
> Please review archives, you'll find the idea discussed and some patches
> to implement it, by Simon. I suppose you could begin here:
>
>  http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2008-06/msg00113.php

Thanks for the pointer.  I guess that demonstrates that good ideas
will keep floating back up to the surface.  It seems like the idea was
met with generally positive feedback, except that most people seemed
to want a slightly simpler system than what Simon was proposing.  I
suspect that this is mostly suffering from a lack of round tuits.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company