Automating PostgreSql table partition using triggers

From: Amitabh Kant <amitabhkant(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Automating PostgreSql table partition using triggers
Date: 2011-01-27 17:50:31
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi

I am trying to write a function which is being called from a trigger used
for partitioning a large table. The partitioning is to happen based on an
integer field (testing_id). A simplified structure of what I am trying to do
is written below.

Create Table tbltesting(
testing_id int not null,
testing_name character varying(255));

Create table tbltesting1(check(testing_id = 1)) inherits(tbltesting);
Create table tbltesting2(check(testing_id = 2)) inherits(tbltesting);

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION partition_insert_trigger()
RETURNS TRIGGER AS $$
DECLARE id integer ;
BEGIN
id := NEW.testing_id;

INSERT INTO tbltesting'||id||' VALUES (NEW.*); //Problem line, not
sure what syntax to use here

RETURN NULL;
END;
$$
LANGUAGE plpgsql;

CREATE TRIGGER partition_trigger
BEFORE INSERT ON tbltesting
FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE PROCEDURE partition_insert_trigger();

Creating tables or child tables is not a problem and the trigger works fine
if the function has static definitions. What I am trying to achieve is use
the new testing_id to create a table name for use in the insert statement.
If I am able to use the variable in the table name, I would not have to
re-declare the function each time with modified conditions for each separate
testing_id.

With regards

Amitabh