Re: Determining the WAL file needed by a standby

From: Jaime Casanova <jaime(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: "Nicholson, Brad (Toronto, ON, CA)" <bnicholson(at)hp(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Determining the WAL file needed by a standby
Date: 2011-02-10 05:15:54
Lists: pgsql-admin
On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 3:37 PM, Nicholson, Brad (Toronto, ON, CA)
<bnicholson(at)hp(dot)com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Once I’ve shut down a streaming replica standby, is there a way from the
> master I can tell which WAL file is going to be the earliest one needed in
> order for the replica to catch back up?

that info is on the standby, you need to execute pg_controldata on the
standby and read the Latest checkpoint location, IIRC...
then, from that you can now what the segment you need is, but you have
to look for it on the master

--
Jaime Casanova         www.2ndQuadrant.com
Professional PostgreSQL: Soporte y capacitación de PostgreSQL