Re: superuser unable to modify settings of a system table

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Gurjeet Singh <singh(dot)gurjeet(at)gmail(dot)com>, PGSQL Bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: superuser unable to modify settings of a system table
Date: 2010-06-04 20:41:08
Lists: pgsql-bugs
On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 1:21 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Gurjeet Singh <singh(dot)gurjeet(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>> allow_system_table_mods needs a restart :( .Yet another parameter I wish was
>> changeable on the fly.
>
> I'm not sure there's any compelling reason why it couldn't be SUSET.
> Maybe a TODO ...

Personally, I think it would be better to put some work into making
allow_system_table_mods a little less simple-minded.  Right now,
!allow_system_table_mods prohibits you from doing perfectly sensible
things (as in the OP's original example) yet still allows you to do
things that are totally nuts (like DELETE FROM pg_class, which causes
every subsequent connection attempt for that database to panic).
Perfection may be too much to ask for but I'd take "modest
improvement"...

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company