Info on non supported Features

From: Jasmin Dizdarevic <jasmin(dot)dizdarevic(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Info on non supported Features
Date: 2011-01-10 01:22:51
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
Hi Guys,

as I started working on email notification Dave told me, that I've to
disable all email notification relevant GUI elements, if the required
pgAgent version is not installed.
I did that of course, but I thought why we should not tell the user, why a
control is disabled.

My idea is not to disable the control, but hide it and place an explaining
text on it's position. In code we know which version is required because of
the call pgConn::BackendMinimumVersion(major, minor).
I've extended this method to pgConn::BackendMinimumVersion(major,wxControl*
control) and every time this is called, the desired control will be hidden
and a wxStaticText control will be added.

The text is for example: Supported in PostgreSQL %i.%i, major, minor
=> Supported in PostgreSQL 9.1. See also the attached screenshots.

I know this is not applicable in all situations, but it's a useful
information.

What you think about it? Shall I finalize this feature?

Jasmin

pgadmin-hackers by date