Re: LINE 1: IDENTIFY_SYSTEM error infinitum

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Zoid <Zoid(at)the-lounge(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: LINE 1: IDENTIFY_SYSTEM error infinitum
Date: 2010-07-01 02:58:23
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 11:35 AM, Zoid <Zoid(at)the-lounge(dot)us> wrote:
> Hmm.  I tried the replication=1 switch but I was prompted with the below but
> I noticed the "local" requirement assumes a UNIX socket which i'm not using.
>  And both databases are actually on the same box (just different ports).
>
>   psql: FATAL:  no pg_hba.conf entry for replication connection from host
> "[local]", user "postgres"
>

> I've been using this to start the replication database processs, which does
> start ok, spit out to syslog then barfs on the IDENTIFY_SYSTEM returned from
> the primary.     /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postgres -p5433 -D
> replication_database  -o -d5
>
> Can I be sure that the Primary even has the capability to answer the
> IDENTIFY_SYSTEM command?   I'm beginning to think maybe this is zero'd out
> until the beta is finalized.   It would take a code search but if the
> functionality is linked to Major Version and Minor version variables, I
> guess its possible that it won't work until the beta2 is normalized to an
> normal release.    So I'll look for an alternate means to extract the System
> Identity on the primary.

Hmm... you'd like to get the system identifier from the postgres server via SQL
rather than starting replication? If so, you can do that by adding replication
entry into pg_hba.conf and performing the following

$ psql replication=1 -c "IDENTIFY_SYSTEM"
systemid | timeline
5488763631978937207 | 1
(1 row)

Regards,