Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make CheckRequiredParameterValues() depend upon correct

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make CheckRequiredParameterValues() depend upon correct
Date: 2010-04-29 11:51:48
Lists: pgsql-committerspgsql-hackers
On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 7:19 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
> Robert Haas wrote:
>> I kind of agree with Simon on this one, except I would probably choose
>> to have just on and off and make on work like his auto.
>>
>> In other words, recovery_connections=on means, give me recovery
>> connections if possible, otherwise don't worry about it.
>
> If you're setting up a reporting server, and hot standby can't start,
> the server is not functioning properly. I would like to get an error in
> that case.

Presumably you will actually try connecting to it, no?

And what happens when someone changes the setting on the master from
hot_standby back to archive?  I'd rather have the reporting server
continue recovery without being able to accept connections rather than
die in its tracks.

I think this is a problem that should be solved by monitoring, rather
than by automatically taking the server down.

...Robert