Re: Number of selected characters.

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Cc: Vinicius Santos <vinicius(dot)santos(dot)lista(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Number of selected characters.
Date: 2011-01-04 15:27:46
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 2:05 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:
> Ch is not obvious either. But, what about Sel?

It is obvious when it changes to a new value every time you move the
cursor. Sl (or Sel) isn't - you don't see it change in normal
operation.

>> - It's of extremely limited utility in my opinion.
>>

> Doesn't seem like a good reason to me. Actually, I read this as "it has
> a utility to some". So I don't see why we have to get rid of it. We
> probably don't have the time to do it, but as somebody wrote it...

We have always added features to pgAdmin on the basis that they
provide widespread utility. We have refused countless feature requests
for things that only one or two people have asked for.

>> - It clutters the already busy status bar.
>>

> It doesn't take a lot of space. I understand the status bar contains a
> lot of stuff, but this is not much to add.

I disagree. It may be small, but it makes it noticably harder to read
that area of the UI at a glance.

/D

--
Dave Page