Re: Index Bloat - how to tell?

From: Dave Crooke <dcrooke(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Plugge, Joe R(dot)" <JRPlugge(at)west(dot)com>
Cc: John W Strange <john(dot)w(dot)strange(at)jpmchase(dot)com>, "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Index Bloat - how to tell?
Date: 2010-12-14 20:12:11
Lists: pgsql-performance

There is a plugin called pgstattuple which can be quite informative ....
however, it actually does a full scan of the table / index files, which may
be a bit invasive depending on your environment and load.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/pgstattuple.html

It's in the contrib (at least for 8.4), and so you have to import its
functions into your schema using the script in the contrib directory.

Cheers
Dave