Re: [HACKERS] Date conversion using day of week

From: Brendan Jurd <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: marc(at)bloodnok(dot)com
Cc: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Date conversion using day of week
Date: 2011-03-31 16:07:07
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On 1 April 2011 02:35, Marc Munro <marc(at)bloodnok(dot)com> wrote:
> Just to be clear, the reason I was mixing things in this way was that I
> wanted to validate that the dayname being passed was valid for the
> current locale, and I could find no easier way of doing it.

Ah, I see. In that case I think to_date would have disappointed you
even if IYYY-IW-DY did work, since the inputs do not appear to be
checked against the localised versions of the day names. They are
only checked against the hard-coded English names. to_date and
to_char are asymmetric in this sense -- localisation only happens on
the way out.

Cheers,
BJ