Dynamic linking on Windows

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Dynamic linking on Windows
Date: 2010-10-22 08:54:37
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

I intend to change the Windows VC++ project files to use dynamic
linking with wxWidgets rather than static as they currently do. The
reason for this is twofold - 1) from a licencing standpoint it's
probably safer, and 2) I've been playing with some addon wxWidgets
libraries recently which we may want to use in the future, and support
for static linking doesn't seem well tested in general.

Any objections?

Note that the non-Windows builds already default to dynamic linking.
It may be necessary to remove support for static in the future though,
if we use any additional libraries that don't support it. I don't see
that as a problem though - the official Mac packages are dynamic
already, and most Linux packages are built that way to meet platform
packaging standards.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com