Re: Keepalives win32

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Pavel Golub <pavel(at)gf(dot)microolap(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Keepalives win32
Date: 2010-06-30 14:32:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 16:27, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> Do you have an opinion on the two choices for handling keepalives_idle
>> and keepalives_interval? They basically are:
>
>> 1) When not configured, use system defaults. When only one of the two
>> parameters configured, use RFC default for the other one (overwrite
>> system default).
>
>> 2) When not configured, use RFC defaults (overwrite system defaults).
>> When only one of the two parameters configured, use RFC default for
>> the other one (overwrite system default)
>
>> 3) When not configured, use system defaults. When only one of the two
>> parameters configured, throw error.
>
> It's hard to argue about this when most of us have no idea what these
> "system defaults" are, or whether they really are any different from the
> RFC values in the first place, or whether ordinary users know how to
> alter them or even find out their values.  Please provide some
> background if you want intelligent comments.

The system defaults are whatever the user has configured at a machine
level (by editing the registry, by hand or by tool (including
policies)). I doubt many users have configured them by hand. There may
well be tools that do it for them.

Anyway, after some checking i realized #3 can't be implemented anyway
in the backend, since guc won't let us know early enough. So that's
out.

Thus, let's go with #2. Which was your suggestion :)

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/