Re: [DOCS] Example indenting

From: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>, pgsql-docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: [DOCS] Example indenting
Date: 2010-08-27 17:04:36
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-www

On 27 August 2010 17:10, Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov> wrote:
> Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> The reason I removed the corners is that they can't be applied to
>> a warning or caution box using their current markup (as the
>> background pushes beyond the rounded corner), and when they appear
>> near a normal rounded-corner box, it might look a bit inconsistent
>> (same but with rounded corners):
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/dark_ixion/4931878975/sizes/o/
>>
>> Hmmm.. although looking at it again, maybe it doesn't.  I dunno.
>
> That looks better to my eye -- square corners on a page with that
> many boxes for code start to look pretty harsh, to the point of
> being a bit jarring.  The round corners soften that for me, and make
> it easier to look at.  (I don't know how widespread that reaction
> is, though.)

Something I've noticed is an inconsistency in the SGML markup around
functions listed in tables. Sometimes the entire function signature
is considered to be the function, and other times it's just the
function name, with its parameters outside of the <function> tags.

E.g.:

<function>variance</function>(<replaceable
class="parameter">expression</replaceable>)

vs

<function>stddev_samp(<replaceable
class="parameter">expression</replaceable>)</function>

Which way is correct? It will make a big difference visually with
these changes.

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion