Re: Problem serving one-click installer to Syria

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: "M(dot) Bashir Al-Noimi" <admin(at)mbnoimi(dot)net>, Adam Alkins <postgresql(at)adamalkins(dot)com>, PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Problem serving one-click installer to Syria
Date: 2010-06-15 06:54:34
Lists: pgsql-generalpgsql-www
On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 06:15, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> M. Bashir Al-Noimi wrote:
>> What's going on!
>> http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/ gave me the following stupid message:
>> downforeveryoneorjustme error message
>>

>>   Forbidden
>>
>> Your client does not have permission to get URL |/| from this server.
>> (Client IP address: 213.178.224.178)
>>
>> You are accessing this page from a forbidden country.
>> and enterprisedb.com <http://enterprisedb.com> still unavailable!
>>
>> Now I wondering does postgresql forbids my country or not?, is it open
>> source or something else?
>
> I suppose we are going to have to guess your country;  this web site,
> http://www.ip-adress.com/ip_tracer/213.178.224.178, says it is Syria.
>
> Certainly Postgres is available for everyone, but it seems EnterpriseDB
> (and http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/) are not able to serve that IP
> block, which is a problem.
>
> I have moved this email to the Postgres www list, and changed the
> subject line.  We should have more information for you soon.

This is the second report of this issue this week, the previous one
being a user in South Korea. It was fixed by Dave that time - but I'm
detecting a pattern here :-) We don't want to get tihs stuff fixed on
a case by case basis - can we verify that there is no generic block in
place, please?

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/