Re: warning message in standby

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: warning message in standby
Date: 2010-06-29 07:55:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 11:35 AM, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On the other hand, I like immediate-panicking. And I don't want the standby
> to retry reconnecting the master infinitely.

On second thought, the peremptory PANIC is not good for HA system. If the
master unfortunately has written an invalid record because of its crash,
the standby would exit with PANIC before performing a failover.

So when an invalid record is found in streamed WAL file, we should keep
the standby running and leave the decision whether the standby retries to
connect to the master forever or shuts down right now, up to the user
(actually, it may be a clusterware)?

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao