Re: patch: preload dictionary new version

From: Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Takahiro Itagaki <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: patch: preload dictionary new version
Date: 2010-07-12 00:47:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> For example, the dictionary-load code could automatically execute
> the precompile step if it observed that the precompiled copy of the
> dictionary was missing or had an older file timestamp than the source.

There might be a problem in automatic precompiler -- Where should we
save the result? OS users of postgres servers don't have write-permission
to $PGSHARE in normal cases. Instead, we can store the precompiled
result to $PGDATA/pg_dict_cache or so.

> I like the idea of a precompiler step mainly because it still gives you
> most of the benefits of the patch on platforms without mmap.

I also like the precompiler solution. I think the most important benefit
in the approach is that we don't need to declare dictionaries to be preloaded
in configuration files; We can always use mmap() for all dictionary files.

--
Takahiro Itagaki