Re: BUG #5305: Postgres service stops when closing Windows session

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Chris Travers <chris(at)metatrontech(dot)com>
Cc: Cristian Bittel <cbittel(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5305: Postgres service stops when closing Windows session
Date: 2010-08-20 01:43:02
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 9:09 PM, Chris Travers <chris(at)metatrontech(dot)com> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 2:36 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> That's really odd.  Nothing pgAdmin does should be able to crash the
>> PostgreSQL server, I would think.  Have you got any custom code loaded
>> into PostgreSQL?  Or non-custom, but buggy?
>>
>> I'm guessing the problem only occurs if PGadmin is actually connected
>> to the PostgreSQL server, but perhaps you could verify that.  If so, I
>> would see if you can get a stack backtrace of the backend to which
>> PGadmin is connected.
>
> It wouldn't surprise me if this were a Windows bug (Terminal Services
> may have improved since I was supporting it but it used to be quite
> common that it would cause weird behavior in applications)....  I
> personally think the stack trace is likely to be the best way to test
> where the problem is.

I suspect this is the same problem as bug #4897, and probably also the
same problem as this:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2009-08/msg00114.php

and maybe also this and this:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2010-02/msg00179.php
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-admin/2009-05/msg00105.php

Unfortunately, it seems that no one has been able to get a stack trace yet.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company