Re: Command to prune archive at restartpoints

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Command to prune archive at restartpoints
Date: 2010-06-10 14:17:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 3:28 AM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-06-10 at 10:18 +0300, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:

>> > I submitted a patch to make the command "pg_standby -a %r"
>> >
>> > That's a more portable solution, ISTM.
>> >
>> > I'll commit that and fix the docs.
>> Huh, wait. There's no -a option in pg_standby, so I presume you're
>> planning to add that too. I don't like confusing pg_standby into this,
>> the docs are currently quite clear that if you want to use the built-in
>> standby mode, you can't use pg_standby, and this would muddy the waters.
> It won't kill us to change that sentence. "pg_standby is only used now
> within the cleanup command" etc
> pg_standby already contains the exact logic we need here. Having two
> sets of code for the same thing isn't how we do things.
>> Maybe we could add a new pg_cleanuparchive binary, but we'll need some
>> discussion...
> Which will go nowhere, as we both already know.

I have a feeling that I may be poking my nose into an incipient
shouting match, but FWIW I agree with Heikki that it would be
preferable to keep this separate from pg_standby.  Considering that
Andrew wrote this in 24 lines of Perl code (one-third of which are
basically just there for logging purposes), I'm not that worried about
code duplication, unless what we actually need is significantly more

Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company