Re: BUG #5475: Problem during Instalation

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>, Joel Henrique <joel(at)cefet-al(dot)br>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5475: Problem during Instalation
Date: 2010-06-09 14:50:47
Lists: pgsql-bugs
On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 6:09 AM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
> Please provide a password for the database superuser (${superaccount})
> and service account (${serviceaccount}). If the service account
> already exists in Windows, you must enter the current password for the
> account. If the account does not exist, it will be created when you
> click 'Next'.

I think that's REALLY confusing.  It seems to me that asking for a
password which might be used either to log into an existing account or
to set the password for an account that's about to be created is not
very user-friendly at all.  And we get questions about it here
regularly.  Why not:

If (account exists)
  prompt user to log into account
else
  tell user account will be created, ask for account pw
prompt user for db superuser pw

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company