ADO - adSchemaColumns doesn't seem to work.

From: Phil Brierley <philb(at)philbrierley(dot)com>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: ADO - adSchemaColumns doesn't seem to work.
Date: 2010-05-16 19:45:46
Lists: pgsql-odbc
Hi,

I have some standard code below that seems to work fine with all databases I
have tested including teradata, oracle, sql server etc.

All I am trying to do is return a record set object to the data in a table.

I've just installed and tested it on postgres and it gives me an error -

'object or provider is not capable of performing requested operation'

can anyone give me any clues as to what I am missing?

The code below can be tested in excel if you add a reference to ADO.

Public Sub test()
    'connect
    Dim cnSim As New ADODB.Connection
    Dim connectionstring As String
    connectionstring = "Provider=PostgreSQL.1;Password=password;User
ID=postgres;Data Source=localhost;Location=postgres;Extended
Properties="""""
    cnSim.connectionstring = connectionstring
    cnSim.Open

    'list the tables
    Dim s As String
    Dim s1 As String
    Dim rs As New ADODB.Recordset

    Set rs = cnSim.OpenSchema(adSchemaTables)
   While Not rs.EOF
      s = rs!Table_Schema & "." & rs!TABLE_NAME
      s1 = rs!TABLE_NAME
      Debug.Print s
      rs.MoveNext
   Wend

   'works fine to here.

    'try to return record set of a table
    Dim aRestrictions As Variant
    aRestrictions = Array(Empty, Empty, s, Empty)
    'aRestrictions = Array(Empty, Empty, s1, Empty)
    Set rs = cnSim.OpenSchema(adSchemaColumns, aRestrictions)
    'Error - object or provider is not capable of performing requested
operation'

End Sub

pgsql-odbc by date