Re: PostgreSQL as a local in-memory cache

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Rob Wultsch <wultsch(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Pierre C <lists(at)peufeu(dot)com>, postgres performance list <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL as a local in-memory cache
Date: 2010-06-24 11:35:16
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 4:40 AM, Rob Wultsch <wultsch(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 1:55 PM, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:
>>
>>> It must be a setting, not a version.
>>>
>>> For instance suppose you have a session table for your website and a
>>> users table.
>>>
>>> - Having ACID on the users table is of course a must ;
>>> - for the sessions table you can drop the "D"
>>
>> You're trying to solve a different use-case than the one I am.
>>
>> Your use-case will be solved by global temporary tables.  I suggest that
>> you give Robert Haas some help & feedback on that.
>>
>> My use case is people using PostgreSQL as a cache, or relying entirely
>> on replication for durability.
>
> Is he? Wouldn't a global temporary table have content that is not
> visible between db connections? A db session many not be the same as a
> user session.

I'm planning to implement global temporary tables, which can have
different contents for each user session.

And I'm also planning to implement unlogged tables, which have the
same contents for all sessions but are not WAL-logged (and are
truncated on startup).

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company