Re: Problem serving one-click installer to Syria

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, "M(dot) Bashir Al-Noimi" <admin(at)mbnoimi(dot)net>, Adam Alkins <postgresql(at)adamalkins(dot)com>, PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Problem serving one-click installer to Syria
Date: 2010-06-15 13:23:19
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-www

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 14:16, Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 7:58 AM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner
> <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc> wrote:
>> yeah - We really can't discriminate against some of our users in that
>> way(and we are not doing that on any of our other sites). If we cannot get
>> this fixed in a generic way we really need to look into alternative ways -
>> at least for people being affected by that - to get to the one-click
>> installer.
>
> Well South Korea would have been obviously just a mistake. But I would
> expect it to be an issue for any US company to server IPs in Syria,
> North Korea, Cuba, Iran, or Burma/Myanmar. Actually I don't know what
> restrictions there would be for a product that isn't being sold but I
> wouldn't be surprised if they wanted to be conservative and just not
> serve those IPs at all.

If that is so, there needs to be a mirror that's not excluding these countries.

> For the community it might be tricky to solve since many of the
> servers are hosted or sponsored by US organizations. Having some
> servers with different rules than others might complicate matters
> significantly.

The community doesn't host the mirrors, we just point to them. Aside
from what some poeple want it to be, linking is still legal AFAIK. It
is up to each individual mirror what they want to distribute. We've
never had issues with that before, and AFAIK nothing has changed
around this for many years.

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/