Re: Keepalives win32

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Andrew Chernow <ac(at)esilo(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Keepalives win32
Date: 2010-06-28 19:07:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 21:03, Andrew Chernow <ac(at)esilo(dot)com> wrote:

>> The way I see it, we have two options:
>> 1) Read the default value from the registry. That's some fairly ugly code,
>> imho.
>
> It seems faily simple to yank these values out, no?  Even easier if you use
> the all-in-wonder shell function SHGetValue().

We don't want to use that function, because it brings in a bunch of
extra dependencies. This makes libpq.dll more heavyweight and more
importantly, decreases the number of parallell connections we can deal
with on the server side (on win32 at least, not sure about win64).

> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters
> Values: KeepAliveTime, KeepAliveInterval
> Type: DWORD
>
> The only annoying thing is that the values may not exist.  Well, it is also

Right, we'd need an fallback in case they don't exist as well.

> rather annoying there is no way to set the counter.

Yeah, but that's at least well documented how it behaves. In fact,
there used to be a way to set that (via registry key), but they
removed it in Vista.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/