Re: Create Table Dialog: Change Column after creation/Reorder Columns

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>, "onur(dot)oguzel" <onur(dot)oguzel(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Create Table Dialog: Change Column after creation/Reorder Columns
Date: 2010-06-21 20:34:32
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 4:18 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:

> I think that's an acceptable solution, provided it works well. *IFF*
> it is very very very very clear to the user that this is what happens
> (extra warning dialog(s), please!). A lot of people have tables small
> enough that this is not a problem.
>
> And remember that it's not quite as trivial as one would initially
> think - you still need to recreate all indexes and foreign keys and
> sutff. But it's certainly doable.

And views and functions and rules and triggers.... Just handling that
lot would be a significant amount of code.

My main concerns though, are the space requirements for a large table
and the locking that would be required. This is not something you
would attempt on a large or busy table unless you were certifiably
insane.

--
Dave Page
The Enterprise Postgres Company