Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Basic Recovery Control functions for use in Hot Standby. Pause,

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Basic Recovery Control functions for use in Hot Standby. Pause,
Date: 2011-03-10 19:36:51
Lists: pgsql-committerspgsql-hackers
On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 5:48 AM, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 12:04 PM, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 5:12 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:
>>> I was also worried about the non-hot-standby case, but I see that the
>>> patch makes sure you can't enable pause when not in hot standby mode.
>>> Which in itself might be surprising - perhaps we need a NOTICE for
>>> when that happens as well?
>>
>> I didn't include this fix in the patch because I prefer FATAL to
>> NOTICE for that.
>> NOTICE doesn't stop recovery. So we might be unable to notice such a NOTICE
>> message and stop the recovery before it's too late, i.e., the recovery has
>> completed at the undesirable point. So I think that emitting FATAL is safer.
>
> I included this fix in the patch, which emits FATAL if pause_at_recovery_target
> is enabled while hot standby is disabled and the recovery target is set.

Eh, this is problematic, because you can't claim in the documentation
(and the comments in recovery.conf.sample) that the parameter has no
effect when Hot Standby is not enabled, and then at the same time make
that combination a FATAL error.  I don't have a strong opinion on
whether to change the docs or make it not FATAL, but the two have to
match.

Committing the rest.

--
Robert Haas