Re: Support for invalid foreign keys

From: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>, pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Support for invalid foreign keys
Date: 2011-03-07 05:49:28
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On 7 March 2011 10:18, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 10:28 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> This is a new (as in 9.1) feature we have to support in pgAdmin.
>>
>> From the git log on https://github.com/gleu/pgadmin3/tree/ticket304:
>>
>>  Add support for invalid foreign key constraints
>>
>>  This patch adds a checkbox in the dlgForeignKey dialog, so that the
>>  user can create an "not validated" foreign key. Each foreign key of
>>  this kind is displayed with the usual icon with a red cross on it. A
>>  contextual menu allows the user to force the validation of the
>>  constraint. The user can also do this via the dlgForeignKey dialog.
>
> So it basically disables the constraint, leaving it as a sort of
> documentation of intent?

Yes, I believe the purpose is to allow the creation of a foreign key
with far less disruptive locking meaning foreign keys can be created
in parallel.

Guillaume, you appear to have commented out an if container, while
also adding a condition to it. Is this supposed to be commented out
at all?..

+ //if (sql.IsNull() || forceRefresh)

--
Thom Brown