Re: why does plperl cache functions using just a bool for is_trigger

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Jan Urbański <wulczer(at)wulczer(dot)org>, Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Alex Hunsaker <badalex(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Postgres - Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: why does plperl cache functions using just a bool for is_trigger
Date: 2010-11-08 17:36:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 2:56 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> It's not cheap :-( ... but it's *necessary*.  There's no other way to
> get sane behavior.
>
> If the cost annoys you, you should put some effort into making subxact
> start/stop cheaper overall, rather than trying to avoid having one here.

I would be pretty happy even if only the *first* subxact was cheap.
That would take care of 99% of use implicit use cases leaving mostly
only cases where users have explicitly asked for a subxact with a
catch/throw block.

In particular it would cover the psql case of wanting to have a
subxact around every interactive command so the user can hit C-c
without undoing their whole transaction.

--
greg