Re: wxWidgets 2.9 build

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Cc: Peter Geoghegan <peter(dot)geoghegan86(at)gmail(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: wxWidgets 2.9 build
Date: 2011-01-24 09:49:47
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 9:38 AM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:
> Le 24/01/2011 09:43, Dave Page a écrit :
>> On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 10:21 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
>> <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:
>>>
>>> Not sure I agree there. This is a huge list of files to be fixed to
>>> have... nothing more. I'm also all for incremental commits as long as
>>> they do something.
>>
>> Where "nothing more" == "wxWidgets 2.9 compatibility"?
>>

> That's not what I understood from Peter's email because his patch
> doesn't take care of OGL, which means we would have a somewhat broken
> pgAdmin (no GQB, no graphical EXPLAIN).
>
>> That seems like a WIN to me.
>>

> Complete 2.9 compatibility would be a win. And I confess I fail to see
> why we should commit this patch. What is the added value for this patch?

It is an *incremental* change on the way to 2.9 compatibility. Adding
patches in an incremental fashion like this is quite normal (it's been
done before on a number of occasions in PostgreSQL and pgAdmin) as it
makes them much easier to review and commit, than huge monolithic
patches. An incremental patch may not bring full compatibility, but it
addresses a specific set of issues, and does so in a way that doesn't
break the existing builds.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com