Re: Query history mystery box

From: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>
To: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Cc: pgadmin-support <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Query history mystery box
Date: 2010-09-21 12:37:07
Lists: pgadmin-support

On 21 September 2010 13:31, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:
> Le 21/09/2010 14:25, Thom Brown a écrit :
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I think the query history box should be labelled, or at least have a
>> tooltip.  A colleague of mine was confused by the presence of the new
>> drop-down box with no indication as to what this was.  And to make
>> matters worse, when he went to the help guide, the screenshot doesn't
>> show this drop-down.
>>

> The documentation is not good. We need to work on that for next release.
> One of the issues we are facing is the format we should use. Right now,
> every thing is a mixed of PHP and HTML, which is great for translation,
> but bad if we want to find writers that aren't coders too.
>
> But before that, updating some screenshots would be a pretty good idea.
> Everyone is welcomed to contribute this way.
>
>> Could it be made clearer what the function of this box is.  Like
>> "Previous queries" or "Statement history".  And update the help to
>> show this with an explaination as to its function?
>>

> Could be done, yeah. If you think it's much better for the user, that's
> something quite easy and quick to do.

Yes, I think it's pretty much essential as otherwise it leaves the
user to guess as to its function. Another idea is for it to say
"Select From Statement History" as the default entry (if there is a
history to select from), and whatever the user selects from the
history overwrite this.

And it appears the user can type stuff into this field too. Shouldn't
that be non-editable?

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion