Re: Poor Yum User Download Experience

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Poor Yum User Download Experience
Date: 2010-06-30 20:47:03
Lists: pgsql-www

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 12:49 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> >
>> > You obviously read my email because you remembered the "Letter P" text.
>> > Based on your comments, I stand by my analysis.
>>
>> I didn't read the email until you complained last night because it was
>> in-line and I happened to see it.
>
> Your basic approach is to try to mention the most stupid item I found
> and try to minimize the problems.  I don't have time to drag your nose
> multiple times into every little problem you have, and you obviously
> don't care to objectively review my complaints and make improvements,
> hence my conclusions.

This discussion seems to contain more heat than light. Let me state,
first of all, and categorically, that I really don't care whether we
point people to CommandPrompt's RPMs, Devrim's RPMs, or some other set
of RPMs. Having said that, I do think there are a couple of real
problems here.

1. The download page has three links to yum.pgsqlrpms.org. Two of
those links have a look and feel that is similar to postgresql.org.
The other one redirects to a commandprompt.com web site with a
completely different look and feel, which asks you to click through to
another commandprompt.com web site with a third look and feel. There
should really be just one look and feel here, not three (and useless
click-through manual redirects).

2. https://public.commandprompt.com/projects/pgcore/wiki (which is
where you eventually get from http://yum.pgsqlrpms.org/) links to
https://public.commandprompt.com/projects/pgcore/wiki/Configure_Yum,
while the download page has a link to a separate YUM HOWTO at
http://yum.pgsqlrpms.org/howtoyum.php; if we need two links to the
information on configuration YUM, both should go to the same place.

3. Both YUM HOWTOs claim that they will take you to a page where you
can choose your operating system version and preferred PostgreSQL
version, but both in fact go to
http://yum.pgsqlrpms.org/reporpms/repoview/letter_p.group.html which
claims to be specifically 9.0 packages. Only after clicking into one
of these packages do you realize that older versions are also
available.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company