Re: Poor Yum User Download Experience

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Poor Yum User Download Experience
Date: 2010-06-30 20:47:03
Lists: pgsql-www
On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 12:49 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> >
>> > You obviously read my email because you remembered the "Letter P" text.
>> > Based on your comments, I stand by my analysis.
>> I didn't read the email until you complained last night because it was
>> in-line and I happened to see it.
> Your basic approach is to try to mention the most stupid item I found
> and try to minimize the problems.  I don't have time to drag your nose
> multiple times into every little problem you have, and you obviously
> don't care to objectively review my complaints and make improvements,
> hence my conclusions.

This discussion seems to contain more heat than light.  Let me state,
first of all, and categorically, that I really don't care whether we
point people to CommandPrompt's RPMs, Devrim's RPMs, or some other set
of RPMs.  Having said that, I do think there are a couple of real
problems here.

1. The download page has three links to  Two of
those links have a look and feel that is similar to
The other one redirects to a web site with a
completely different look and feel, which asks you to click through to
another web site with a third look and feel.  There
should really be just one look and feel here, not three (and useless
click-through manual redirects).

2. (which is
where you eventually get from links to,
while the download page has a link to a separate YUM HOWTO at; if we need two links to the
information on configuration YUM, both should go to the same place.

3. Both YUM HOWTOs claim that they will take you to a page where you
can choose your operating system version and preferred PostgreSQL
version, but both in fact go to which
claims to be specifically 9.0 packages.  Only after clicking into one
of these packages do you realize that older versions are also

Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company