Re: It is possible to add an option to save files without UTF-8 BOM sequence

From: Taras Kopets <tkopets(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: It is possible to add an option to save files without UTF-8 BOM sequence
Date: 2010-11-16 20:31:47
Lists: pgadmin-support

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 6:58 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>wrote:

> That's not a limitation of wxWidgets. It's doable in 2/3 hours of work.
> Not sure we really want to add a workaround for this. And actually, this
> is not a bug in pgAdmin. psql and surely quite a lot of tools don't do
> that write. In psql's specific case, I think it's already fixed.
>
> Anyway, as already stated, I'm not against adding such an option. It's
> quite simple to add, but it is another option to add on an already
> filled dialog.

According to wiki - Unicode standard does not require or recommend BOM,
further mentioning that BOM could possibly break stuff in Unix-like systems.

I don't see the problem with adding one checkbox to options page, if this
option
solves compatibility problem with main postgres tool (psql).

If you look closer to option page there is even checkbox "Reset guru
hints",
which is much less important than checkbox "Let me run my files in psql".

What do you think?

Taras Kopets