Re: Which CMS/Ecommerce/Shopping cart ?

From: Sandeep Srinivasa <sss(at)clearsenses(dot)com>
To: Ivan Sergio Borgonovo <mail(at)webthatworks(dot)it>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Which CMS/Ecommerce/Shopping cart ?
Date: 2010-07-29 19:52:25
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 10:46 PM, Ivan Sergio Borgonovo <
mail(at)webthatworks(dot)it> wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 08:52:46 -0700
> "Joshua D. Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:
>
> > The issue isn't Drupal. It is modules. There are a lot of popular
> > modules that do not work with PostgreSQL (Lightbox for example).
>
> > The google checkout module for Ubercart didn't work either until
> > relatively recently.
>
> I'd say the opposite but I'll wait to test more D7.
> Core takes ages to agree on what should be done to fix bugs for
> Postgres without affecting even the "feelings" of MySQL developers.
>
> Modules may have more problems but fixing them is generally trivial
> and generally upstream is quick to integrate the fix.
>
> The problem for core is maintaining your patches till and if they
> fix the bug.

Both of you are right - as I said it is a vicious circle. For a very long
time now (as evidenced by subsequent mails on this thread), a lot of PG
enthusiasts tried to understand the reason for MySQL popularity.
It isnt that developers are lazy - nor that they are "conditioned" in the
MySQL way.

The plain and simple truth is that there are some hugely popular pieces of
software out there (that incidentally are written in PHP) and have no other
equivalent.

Biggest example - Wordpress. Strictly mysql only. If I want to throw
together a company blog + mailing list + SEO, I can get it done using
Wordpress in a matter of hours.

Same for shopping carts, though there is no single canonical software that I
can name - all of them are strictly or strongly MySQL only. These are
restrictions that cannot (and should not) always be answered with a
roll-your-own solution.

A very interesting example is Bugzilla - just search for "bugzilla install"
on Google and see how many of them are MySQL centric. This.... when Postgres
is officially supported.

I searched and asked on IRC and forums - I got no answer to what works with
postgres. I google for stuff - I get no answers. Yet, I do end up with lots
of results that claim to show how bad postgres is as compared to mysql, in
context of all the popular pieces of software out there.

So what am I driving at ? If you have to time to spare or have the
inclination, please please put out blog posts, how-tos, guides which relate
to usecases like putting up a blog, setting up an online shop, configuring a
popular CRM package, etc. rather than pure DB-centric information. Please
put information out there on how to configure Drupal, SugarCRM, Trac,
Yes, I know to RTFM - but then I see the buzz around MySQL and am swayed.

regards
Sandeep