Re: What happened to SSL_CIPHERS?

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: What happened to SSL_CIPHERS?
Date: 2010-12-15 12:58:08
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 19:56, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 10:01, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:
>>> Mind you, we *also* need a doc patch. ("This parameter is only available if
>>> PostgreSQL was built with SSL support").
>
>> Actually, I think it'd be more user friendly to make the parameter
>> still exist and be a no-op (maybe show the value NULL?) on non-SSL
>> enabled builds. Same goes for all other parameters that depend on a
>> specific compile flag. That would make life easier on automated tools
>> *and* on people sitting down at a new installation.
>
> Yeah, we're a bit schizophrenic about this.  Some parameters still
> exist, but can't be set to any value but "disabled", when the relevant
> feature wasn't compiled.  Others just aren't there.
>
> It takes code space and work to make a parameter be present but behave
> differently if disabled.  I don't think that we should institute a
> blanket policy of requiring that to happen; in particular, there are a
> number of debug-type parameters for which I argue that it's not worth
> the trouble.  But for user-facing parameters I agree we should do it,
> and ssl_ciphers is one of those.

Here's a patch that does this for HEAD. AFAICT, only ssl_ciphers and
the syslog parameters are actually "user facing parameters" - all the
other ifdef'ed out ones are debug-style parameters.

> In any case, a doc patch would be the right thing for the back branches.

I can look at this too (yes, I know we just wrapped, but I'm working
down the backlog :S). You mean something as simple as "this parameter
is unavailable if the server was not compiled with support for SSL"?

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Attachment Content-Type Size