Re: pg_streamrecv for 9.1?

From: Gurjeet Singh <singh(dot)gurjeet(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_streamrecv for 9.1?
Date: 2010-12-29 19:19:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 1:42 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Dec 29, 2010, at 1:01 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> > Is it really stable enough for bin/?  My impression of the state of
> > affairs is that there is nothing whatsoever about replication that
> > is really stable yet.
>
> Well, that's not stopping us from shipping a core feature called
> "replication".  I'll defer to others on how mature pg_streamrecv is, but if
> it's no worse than replication in general I think putting it in bin/ is the
> right thing to do.

As the README says that is not self-contained (for no fault of its own) and
one should typically set archive_command to guarantee zero WAL loss.

<quote>
TODO: Document some ways of setting up an archive_command that works well
together with pg_streamrecv.
</quote>

    I think implementing just that TODO might make it a candidate.

    I have neither used it nor read the code, but if it works as advertised
then it is definitely a +1 from me; no preference of bin/ or contrib/, since
the community will have to maintain it anyway.

Regards,
--
gurjeet.singh
@ EnterpriseDB - The Enterprise Postgres Company

singh(dot)gurjeet(at){ gmail | yahoo }.com
Twitter/Skype: singh_gurjeet

Mail sent from my BlackLaptop device