Re: BUG #5475: Problem during Instalation

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Joel Henrique <joel(at)cefet-al(dot)br>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5475: Problem during Instalation
Date: 2010-06-09 07:47:34
Lists: pgsql-bugs
On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 4:58 AM, Craig Ringer
<craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au> wrote:

> Really, the installer on Windows needs to stash the password in an
> admin-only-readable registry key, read it from there on install, and test to
> make sure it works. If it does, Pg need not even bother the user with the
> account password at all.

Aside from the fact that such a technique would probably end up on
Bugtraq quicker than I could write the report myself, many people do
need the password for setting up additional services such as pgAgent,
and for actually logging into the database they just installed.

--
Dave Page
The Enterprise Postgres Company