Re: BUG #5475: Problem during Instalation

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Joel Henrique <joel(at)cefet-al(dot)br>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5475: Problem during Instalation
Date: 2010-06-09 07:47:34
Lists: pgsql-bugs
On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 4:58 AM, Craig Ringer
<craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au> wrote:

> Really, the installer on Windows needs to stash the password in an
> admin-only-readable registry key, read it from there on install, and test to
> make sure it works. If it does, Pg need not even bother the user with the
> account password at all.

Aside from the fact that such a technique would probably end up on
Bugtraq quicker than I could write the report myself, many people do
need the password for setting up additional services such as pgAgent,
and for actually logging into the database they just installed.

Dave Page
EnterpriseDB UK:
The Enterprise Postgres Company