Re: [HACKERS] Docs for archive_cleanup_command are poor

From: Brendan Jurd <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Docs for archive_cleanup_command are poor
Date: 2010-10-14 15:24:17
Lists: pgsql-docspgsql-hackers
On 12 October 2010 23:28, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 10:04 AM, Brendan Jurd <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> I have just set up HS+SR for the first time, and for the most part,
>> the docs were excellent.  The one exception for me was the discussion
>> of archive_cleanup_command.  This is a pretty important part of
>> constructing a healthy standby server, and IMO the docs don't give it
>> the treatment it deserves.

> Agreed.
>
> And, ISTM that we should mention that we must not just specify
> pg_archivecleanup in archive_cleanup_command when there are multiple
> standby servers. This is because, in that case, we must calculate
> the oldest restart point in those standbys and delete the archived
> WAL files according to that point.

As promised, here is a patch to try to address $SUBJECT.

Summary of changes:

In 25.2.4. "Setting Up a Standby Server":

 * Get rid of the extraneous short paragraph,
 * move the full-size paragraph up to where the now-extinct short para was,
 * add an archive_cleanup_command to the example recovery.conf,
 * flesh out the wording,
 * add links to 26.1 and F.22.

In 26.1. "Archive recovery settings":

 * Add detail to the description of how it works,
 * add an example recovery.conf snippet,
 * per Fujii-san's comment, indicate that multi-standby setups require
more finesse,
 * link to F.22.

In F.22. "pg_archivecleanup":

 * Edit and clarify wording,
 * standardise label for the <archivelocation> argument,
 * again indicate the multi-standby issue,
 * link to 25.2.

I'll drop this onto the next open commitfest.  If it passes muster, it
sure wouldn't hurt to backpatch it to 9.0.

Cheers,
BJ