Re: Streaming a base backup from master

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Streaming a base backup from master
Date: 2010-09-03 11:28:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 12:19 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
> Here's a WIP patch. It adds a new "TAKE_BACKUP" command to the replication
> command set. Upon receiving that command, the master starts a COPY, and
> streams a tarred copy of the data directory to the client. The patch
> includes a simple command-line tool, pg_streambackup, to connect to a server
> and request a backup that you can then redirect to a .tar file or pipe to
> "tar x".

Cool. Can you add a TODO to build in code to un-tar the archive? tar
is not usually found on Windows systems, and as we already have tar
extraction code in pg_restore it could presumably be added relatively
painlessly.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com