Some more walsender "metadata"

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Some more walsender "metadata"
Date: 2011-02-02 13:26:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Attached patch adds some more "metadata" to walsender results:

* Adds the current xlog insert location as a third column in IDENTIFY_SYSTEM
* Adds a resultset at the start of a base backup that contains the
start xlog location (as returned by do_pg_start_backup)
* Adds a resultset at the end of a base backup that contains the end
xlog location (as returned by do_pg_stop_backup)

These are all information that's interesting for the "log receiver"
version of pg_basebackup (the changes to BASE_BACKUP) and the
pg_streamrecv program (the IDENTIFY_SYSTEM) once integrated.

I still haven't had the time to clean up those programs enough to
submit as a patch yet (it has progressed past that early post from a
month ago or so, but isn't done yet), but I wanted to make sure that
the backend parts gets reviewed and added as soon as possible. And
they're also quite trivial. That way if I don't find time to clean up
the streaming mode receiver in time for 9.1, it can be maintained
outside of the main tree until 9.2 - but the small backend changes
would still be required.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Attachment Content-Type Size
walsender_more_info.patch text/x-patch 7.4 KB