Re: I am confused after reading codes of PostgreSQL three week

From: Vaibhav Kaushal <vaibhavkaushal123(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Brendan Jurd <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: hom <obsidianhom(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: I am confused after reading codes of PostgreSQL three week
Date: 2011-03-18 10:33:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

That was the question I was facing 5 months ago and trust me I am doing it
even now. With an average of 6+ hours going into PostgreSQL Code, even with
best practices (as suggested by the developers) I still think I know less
than 10 percent. It is too huge to be swallowed at once.

I too had to break it down into pieces and because everything is so
interconnected with everything else, it is quite complicated in the
beginning. Start with one piece; planner, parser, executor, storage
management whatever and slowly it should help you get the bigger picture.

regards,
Vaibhav

I had to break it into